Sixth Form life is exciting. You will have a distinct Sixth Form uniform and a dedicated Sixth Form centre with a lecture theatre, seminar rooms and a bistro. You will benefit from close pastoral guidance in tutorial groups and enjoy the independence and flexibility of life in your Sixth Form Centre. You will form close friendships, develop excellent working relationships with your teachers and fully involve yourself in many aspects of school life. This will generate enjoyment, fun and a sense of belonging that will make you proud of your school. Essentially, we aim to prepare you for the next stage of your journey and, in doing so, enable you to enjoy your time in a number of ways. Our aspiration is that you love to be at the school yet cannot wait to leave!
There is an expectation that you will take much greater ownership of your own learning, along with a hope that you will embrace the House system and soon develop a sense of identity and belonging. We also want you to enhance your leadership skills.
Academically, we want you to develop skills that enable you to think critically, to take risks, to innovate, to work independently as well as in teams. You will study three subjects at A-level and one at AS-level in the Sixth Form. In the Upper Sixth, you will also study for the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), an increasingly popular open-ended project that is excellent preparation for university study.
Teachers know students exceptionally well as individuals. They ensure that teaching fuels interests and encourages them to be active and independent learners.
You will make ambitious applications to very good universities and secure places at them or explore other exciting post-18 options. You will also develop study skills that enable you to thrive at university and develop a passion for a particular academic area.
We will help you prepare for Higher Education with visits from outside speakers from a range of UK universities, promotion of taster courses, trips to a UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions System) Higher Education Event, Oxford and/or Cambridge universities, and another academically demanding university while offering support for personal statement writing, interview practice and more.
You will also have the opportunity to benefit from an active careers programme organised by our own staff and supported by Inspiring Futures and representatives from outside agencies including universities. Membership of Inspiring Futures enables us to send Sixth Form pupils on many interesting courses to assist them in their choice of future career.
In essence school life as a Sixth Former at Haberdashers’ Adams includes:
- The opportunity to obtain excellent A-level results in a programme of study involving 3 A-levels, one AS and an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ).
- A first-rate library and resources centre with computers, CD Rom, Internet, video, audio and photocopying equipment.
- A mathematics and information technology block, including a large, fully equipped IT room.
- Well-equipped and modern science laboratories.
- A purpose built Sixth Form Centre.
- A modern Design Technology Centre.
- A dedicated Music Centre with a performing arts studio and recording studio.
- Newly built Humanities Block completed in 2015.
- Combined Cadet Force (CCF) with Army and RAF sections and a marching band.
- Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.
- Involvement in the Engineering Education and Young Enterprise Schemes.
- A very active music programme, with school orchestra and choir, together with smaller instrumental ensembles.
- Regular music and drama productions.
- A large, modern sports hall and extensive playing fields.
- Excellent inter-school sports.
- The William Adams Debating Society.
- Many House activities – including sport, music, and drama – with opportunities to take part in organising such events.
- A system of school and form prefects that gives Sixth Formers the opportunity to develop leadership and responsibility skills.
For details on our Sixth Form Application process, please visit our Sixth Form Admissions page.