Direct Entry to the Sixth Form
Along with its own students, Adams’ Grammar School accepts students from other schools into its Sixth Form. This provides the opportunity to work together on equal terms in a structured and stimulating environment, with the aim of obtaining qualifications good enough to gain entry into higher education and the professions.
In particular, you will have the opportunity to benefit from an active careers programme organised by our own staff and supported by Insipiring Futures and representatives from outside agencies including universities. Membership of Inspiring Futures enables us to send Sixth Form students on many interesting courses to assist them in their choice of future career.
The Sixth Form Office also runs a programme to prepare students for Higher Education including speakers from a range of UK universities, promotion of taster courses, trips to a UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions System) Higher Education Event, Oxford and/or Cambridge universities, and another academically demanding university, support for personal statement writing, interview practice and more.
Other features that may attract you to consider our Sixth Form include the following:
- The opportunity to obtain excellent AS-level and A-level results in a programme of study involving 4 subjects and an extended project qualification (EPQ).
- A first-rate library and resources centre with computers, CD Rom, Internet, video, audio and photocopying equipment.
- A mathematics and information technology block, including a large, fully equipped IT room.
- Well-equipped science laboratories built in 2007.
- Sixth Form Centre completed in 2013.
- A large, modern sports hall.
- A modern technology centre with extensive workshop areas.
- Wireless internet access throughout the school and some areas of the Boarding House.
- Newly built Hamilton Hall (small concert hall) completed in 2015.
- Newly built Humanities Block completed in 2015.
- Newly built Music block completed in 2015.
- Combined Cadet Force (CCF) with Army and RAF, together with a marching band.
- Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.
- Involvement in the Engineering Education and Young Enterprise Schemes.
- A very active music programme, with school orchestra and choir, together with smaller instrumental ensembles.
- Regular music and drama productions.
- Excellent record at inter-school sport.
- The William Adams’ Debating Society.
- Many house activities – including sport, music, and drama – with opportunities to take part in organising such events.
- A system of school and form prefects that gives Sixth Formers the opportunity to develop leadership and responsibility skills.
Please visit our Sixth Form Admissions page for information on Sixth Form entry including a copy of our Sixth Form Application Booklet.